Everyone who lives in Copenhagen knows that the city is a very special place, but not all of its visitors, tourists and international business people are aware of the broad scope of the city’s many qualities.
That is why Wonderful Copenhagen and Copenhagen Capacity, together with a number of the Capital City Region’s businesses and organisations, have developed a shared brand for the Capital City Region: OPEN Copenhagen.
”It is a really good brand. We are open, and with openness you can accomplish incredible things.”
- Bjarke Ingels, Founding Partner BIG
With the new brand we can show the world that Copenhagen is a capital with many possibilities which is always open to new input, new ideas and new thoughts.
Copenhagen recently ranked 12th in a branding list of 88 of the world’s other capitals.
(source: Reputation Institute)
Copenhagen is ahead of its nearest competitors: Stockholm, which is at number 13; Brussels at number 14; Prague at number 15; Helsinki at number 16; Munich at number 19; Madrid at number 20; and New York at number 25. London is in first place. Rankings reflect the number of tourists visiting the respective cities; how many recommend that others visit; the extent to which companies will bring their business to the city; how interested investors are in the city/region; whether people will study, work and live in the city; together with how people respond to the cities’ attitudes.
The aim has been to create a brand which draws together all the arguments in favour of Copenhagen and lay the foundations for a joint profile and marketing. The brand is available for all and is flexible enough that it can easily be adapted to individual campaigns. Copenhagen is not just “Open to You”, Copenhagen is also “Open for Tourists, Businesses, Investment, Events, Experiences, Alternatives”, and much more.
It is easy to feel at home in the Danish capital. Copenhagen is an active city with a pulse and a human face - open, welcoming and with room for everyone. The business environment in the city is one of the best in the world with high productivity, creativity and equality in the work place. Both residents and tourists experience Copenhagen as an open-minded and welcoming city, but we can always be better. That’s why the new brand is also an expression of a vision: that Copenhagen will be seen as the most open city in the world.
With this new brand, Copenhagen will have a strong position in the intensifying fight among Europe’s capital cities to attract tourists and international business.
Open for Sustainability
Open for Alternatives
Openness is Copenhagen’s strength, and the city is proud of the following achievements:
• The world’s best cycle city 2010 (treehugger.com – owned by Discovery Communications)
• The 5th best tourist city in 2010 (New York Times, January 2010)
• The 2nd safest city in 2010 (TripAtlas)
• The 6th most popular congress city in 2010 (ICCA)
• The world’s best green city in 2010 (Discovery Communications)
• The world’s best for business in 2010 (Forbes)
• The world’s best metro in 2010 (MetroRail)
• The 2nd best role model for sustainable cities in 2011 (E&Y)
• The 3rd best English-speaking city out of 44 countries in 2011 (CU)
• The world’s best chef and restaurant in 2011 (The S. Pellegrino World’s 50 Best Restaurants)
• Europe’s most punctual airport in 2011 (FlightStats.com)
• Oscar for best foreign film in 2011 (The 83rd Academy Awards 2011)
Click here to see examples of where the brand has been visible in Copenhagen, and examples of how our strategic network’s members use the OPEN brand.
Open for Nature
Open for Architecture
Open for Dialogue